Trying to be state of the art in our educational program, InformatieDienstverlening en -Management (IDM) Den Haag (informationmanagement – The Hague University of Applied Sciences) started three years ago with an intensive collaboration with Trezorix Delft. This company is developing the Reference Network Architecture (RNA) tool, to create semantic Networks, using XML, RDF, Dublin Core, SKOS and other standards. They work for Naturalis, Teylers, Europeana and other content providers/collectors.
This year the collaboration between Trezorix en IDMdenhaag became more intensive. Creating semantic networks by our students is one of the assignments during their bachelor study. Trezorix gives training about creating the networks and in the meantime the company collects feedback on their software.
During the startup college Hans Nederbragt (ceo of Trezorix) gives a theoretical background of the software and connects this to the practical use of the RNAtoolset.
The RNAtoolset is the managementsystem of the databaselayer. End-users of the information use frond-ends like the soortenregister. The RNAtoolset is used to manage the back-end. It has four main tasks:
- file management for managing the structures
- hierarchical interface to create tree view itemlists
- concept completion
- inheritance of properties in the hierarchy
Hans tells about the flexibility of the software. You are allowed to create your own items and relationships between items.
In case of the example: On the origin of species | is written by | Charles Darwin it’s possible to create next set of items and relations:
- Two content items of different item types (book and person) with a relation between them: a predicate: hasAuthor
- The item type book is allowed to use the domain: hasAuthor. The item type person is connected with the range hasAuthor
- Book has more (3) properties, on which he can connect to several predicates en other item types.
Predicates all have also an inverse predicate. In this case: isAuthorOf
Steps for creating semantic networks
In the Reference Network Architecture of Trezorix you use the next steps for creating the information network:
- seperate data and reorder them into referenceable entities.
- groep entities into reference structures
- apply relations between entities with statements
When een item has the propery red, it is possible to see the referrers of this item type. So in a few clicks the sofware shows all items with the property red.
Also the RNA toolset provides Facet Navigaton (for example in the STERNA project) to browse around in the collection of data. Finally tracking of changes is one of the features in the RNAtoolset. Using the tracking system it’s possible the create controlled files of words.
IDMdenhaag is really happy with the collaboration between Trezorix and The Hague University. We like to also share about this with people in our network. So keep informed by reading this blog, and visiting the IDMdenhaag conference in the beginning of 2011. Read more (in dutch) about the collaboration at the Trezorix Website